Monday, May 25, 2009

Visit to the hood...

I remember my mom always telling me to be grateful because there's someone who has it worse than me, but I always thought that was her way of making me feel better. After this first week back from college I finally understand what she means. Today I went back to Soundview, a block where I use to hang out regularly while in high school, and I saw a lot of old friends. I was good seeing and talking to these old friends, but while talking to them and hearing the stories of their life of the past year I began to think. My friends and I are all the same age and I am the only one enrolled in college, one has just gave birth and two others are expecting children. What shocked me the most was that the same people were outside since the last time I was on the block, a year ago. Nothing has changed.

After seeing this I immediately thought about what my mom would always tell me, there is someone who has it worse than me. Sometimes I get upset and think that I have it tough or that I wish I had something better, but at the end of the day I have to realize that I have a great life. There are people who struggle way more than me and I wish I can help them all, but there is only so much one person can do.

I talked to my friends and gave them some words of inspiration. I stressed how important it is to go back to school and get an education.

"Born to lose, raised to win"
"My life is sweeter than a honey bun"

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I personally don't feel like feeling pity for others is productive in situations like this. We all have opportunities presented to us in life, it is the decisions that we make in particular situations that lead us to where we are today.
People are on that same spot on the same block doing the same thing because that is what they are comfortable doing, no one took from them to give to you to help you prosper, spit your words of wisdom and you have done your part, feel pity for them and they have done theirs.